Although travel may be off the table right now, you still deserve a holiday this winter. Why not make a new winter tradition? Be a tourist in your own city with these staycation suggestions for the ultimate weekend getaway—all without having to step foot on a plane.
Shopping in a Winter Wonderland
Yes, you might feel a bit silly making a special effort to go shopping in your own city but no staycation is complete with at least one souvenir to remember it by. Whether you go for something locally-made at the indoor Downtown Farmers’ Market (10305 97 Street) or treat yourself to a new outfit or piece of art, whatever you purchase will act as a reminder of the incredibly fun weekend “getaway” you treated yourself to, and you will support local businesses in a time when they need it.
- YEG Downtown Farmers’ Market (10305 97 Street; www.yegdtmarket.com)
- The Artworks (10150 100 Street; www.theartworks.ca)
- Shades of Grey Boutique (10116 124 Street; www.shopshadesofgrey.com)
- Red Ribbon Boutique (12505 102 Avenue; www.redribbon.ca)
- Carbon Environmental Boutique (12543 102 Avenue; www.carbonboutique.com)
And To All a Good Night!
While it’s totally acceptable to staycation from your own home, there’s nothing like the luxury of knowing someone else is responsible for making your bed and cleaning the bathroom. Book into one of these posh downtown hotels for a decadent weekend. These picks range from reasonable to regal (you know you’ve always wanted to stay in a legit castle).
- Matrix Hotel (10640 100 Avenue; www.matrixedmonton.com) Rooms start at $179/ night
- JW Marriott Edmonton Ice District (10344 102 Street; www.marriott.com) Rooms start at $283/night for members
- Fairmont Hotel MacDonald (10065 100 Street; www.fairmont.com) Rooms start at $279/night
- Union Bank Inn (10053 Jasper Avenue; www.unionbankinn.com) Rooms start at $149/night
- The Westin Edmonton (10135 100 Street; www.westin.marriott.com)
Eat, Drink and Be Merry
A staycation is your chance to try that restaurant you always wanted to, or to revisit an old favourite now that dining in is allowed again. If you’re not comfortable with eating indoors, make it a to-go picnic with charcuterie and wine from Cavern (10169 104 Street, Suite 2) or order take-out from any of these top-notch restaurants. For a fun staycation twist, consider trying a place with a cuisine you normally don’t eat, whether it be vegan food from Die Pie (10255 97 Street) or French cuisine from The Marc (9940 106 Street). Don’t forget a round of holiday cocktails while you’re at it.
- Die Pie (10255 97 Street; www.diepie.ca)
- The Moth (9449 Jasper Avenue; www.mosiacsandmotharchive.com)
- Cavern (10169 104 Street, Suite 2; www.thecavern.ca)
- The Marc (9940 106 Street; www.themarc.ca)
- Woodwork (10132 100 Street; www.woodworkyeg.com)
- The Nook Café (10153 97 Street; www.nookyeg.com)
- Cibo Bistro (11244 104 Avenue; www.cibobistro.com)
- Ono Poke (10142 104 Street; www.onopokeco.com)
- Japonais Bistro (11806 Jasper Avenue; www.japonaisbistro.ca)
- Canteen (10522 124 Street; www.canteenyeg.ca)
- Brassiere Bardot (10109 125 Street; www.brassierebardot.com)
One perk of a staycation is the chance to try new things and explore parts of your neighbourhood that you haven’t had time to visit before. Bundle up for a historical walking or biking tour in Oliver, take advantage of Edmonton’s fantastic museums or visit the brand-new Edmonton Public Library (7 Sir Winston Churchill Square). If relaxing is more your staycation style, there are several downtown spas that offer amazing day packages for premium pampering. Or, check off the cultural aspect of your trip by doing the Art Gallery Walk on 124th Street or blow off some steam in an escape room.
- Edmonton Historical Walking / Biking Tours Oliver (https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/OliverWalkingTour.pdf)
- Royal Alberta Museum (9810 103A Avenue; www.royalalbertamuseum.ca)
- Art Gallery of Alberta (2 Sir Winston Churchill Square; www.youraga.ca)
- GTFO Escape Entertainment (10018 105 Street – 2nd Floor; www.letsgtfo.ca)
- Edmonton Public Library – Stanley A. Milner Library (7 Sir Winston Churchill Square; www.epl.ca)
- Ahava Day Spa (10132 105 Street, Suite 200; www.ahavacanada.ca)
- Spa by JW Edmonton (10344 102 Street; www.marriott.com)
- Bearclaw Gallery (10403 124 Street; www.bearclawgallery.com)
- Bugera Matheson Gallery (10345 124 Street; www.bugeramathesongallery.com)