The Yards magazine (published by the Central Edmonton News Society, on behalf of the Downtown Edmonton and Oliver Community Leagues) needs a new Editor-in-Chief to keep the momentum going on this popular quarterly magazine and to build its supplementary online reporting platform. This is a part-time paid position with very flexible hours. The ideal editor is self-disciplined and self-motivated, enjoys working with writers and creators and collaborating with community members, and LOVES EDMONTON’S CORE NEIGHBOURHOODS.
The Yards is a hyperlocal magazine for Downtown and Oliver covering community and civic affairs, so the ideal editor would be knowledgable about the area and someone who actually likes civics. But we also cover culture, food, business and all other aspects of downtown life—so someone “in the know” is equally valuable. The Yards has won awards from the Alberta Magazine Publishers Association and its hyperlocal journalism has been recognized by the Canadian Association of Journalism and the CBC; it is important to us that our stories meet writing and journalistic standards. We really love journalism junkies and magazine fanatics—people who relish the publishing process, who can be witnessed sniffing glossies and fondling paper stock in the magazine aisle.
- Meet with Central Edmonton News Society to develop stories and key messages for stories
- Schedule editorial meetings and manage pitches
- Develop story assignments for specific writers and editorial interns
- Hire editorial interns, liaise with writers and editorial assistant to ensure deadlines met
- Review stories and make substantive edit
- Liaise with CENS to ensure satisfaction with stories and to edit notes
- Write headline, decks, pull quotes and cut lines
- Meet with art director to plan design, assist when needed
- Proof first and final designs
- Publish stories to web with editorial intern
- Contribute to social media platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook)
- Represent the Yards out in the community (broadcast media and community events)
- Organize panel discussions and work with events manager to launch each issue
Approximately 10 hours weekly. Because The Yards staff and volunteers work remotely through email, it is a requirement of the position that applicants are self-starters and can make themselves available for feedback, discussions and design changes via email at a relatively prompt speed.
Pay is negotiable and in flux, depending on the growth of The Yards online reporting.
Send your resume, cover letter and published articles to publisher Jarrett Campbell at email@example.com, by Dec. 10, 2016.